TEWKESBURY, GLOUCESTERSHIRE – – Tewkesbury Park, which is building a reputation as one of the UK’s finest golf resorts after a recent £10m investment, has new names for its two golf courses.
The Deerpark is the new name for Tewkesbury Park’s 6,554 yard Par 72 18-hole course, a PGA tournament venue which is built on the town’s old medieval deer park.
The 200-acre site was originally stocked with hundreds of deer in 1187 and the park remained a popular attraction for Tewkesbury residents for approximately 400 years. In the century following 1471’s Battle of Tewkesbury, a crucial turning point in the Wars of the Roses which took place on the historic Bloody Meadow adjacent to the park, the deerpark was gradually converted to agricultural land and in 1770 John and Mary Wall built the manor house which now sits at the heart of the resort.
The Deerpark was originally designed in 1976 by famed Dutch golf course architect Frank Pennink. Twice English Amateur Champion and former President of the English Golf Union, Pennink played for GB & Ireland at St Andrews in the 1938 Walker Cup matches against the USA, which was the home team’s first victory in the event. Later in life his classic golf course designs at Vilamoura Old in Portugal and Noordwijk in Holland were rated as being among the best in the world.
In 2016 former Walker Cup Captain Peter McEvoy OBE, who turned to golf course design after one of British golf’s most successful amateur careers, upgraded The Deerpark with an extensive re-bunkering programme at the heart of the renovation. Agronomist John Clarkin, who has prepared courses for The Ryder Cup, the U.S Open and The Solheim Cup, worked with McEvoy to bring The Deerpark’s playing surfaces up to the highest standard – and Tewkesbury Park’s greens are now rated as offering some of the best inland putting surfaces in the West of England.
The Deerpark is set in a commanding position overlooking Cheltenham, the Cotswolds, the Severn Valley, the Malverns and the Welsh Mountains.
Tewkesbury Park’s Par 3 course has also been renamed as The Acorn, to honour the many magnificent old oak trees which are the hallmark of the property. The Acorn, which is ideal as a warm-up or as a short course for beginners, was recently extended to nine holes.
“A visit to Tewkesbury Park is designed to create good memories” said Patrick Jones, the resort’s General Manager. “We hope that golfers will take time to appreciate the historic significance of the land on which The Deerpark is built, and we felt it that this was the appropriate time – after the four-year transformation of Tewkesbury Park into one of Great Britain & Ireland’s Top 100-rated golf resorts – to give golfers a name to think about as they enjoy playing our beautiful golf course.
“We also thought that it would be fun to award a meaningful name to our Par Three course – hence The Acorn, which references not only our many wonderful oak trees, but also the notion that from acorns mighty oaks (and great golfers) grow!”
With two golf courses, 93 bedrooms including nine luxurious historic suites which offer the ultimate in comfort, plus comprehensive leisure and spa facilities, two restaurants including the highly-rated Mint which opened in late 2018, and versatile meeting spaces for up to 200 people, Tewkesbury Park is the complete golf resort, offering golf breaks with distinction in a perfect balance of memorable golf, memorable food and memorable accommodation.
Tewkesbury Park was recently named as one of Great Britain’s Top 100 Hotels by The Sunday Times, and it is also rated among the Top 100 Golf Resorts in Great Britain & Ireland.
To book your break at Tewkesbury Park please call 01684 272300 or email email@example.com.
Or visit www.tewkesburypark.co.uk, head for the Contact Us page and ask away.