Rees Jones talks about updating his father’s original design at Coral Ridge.
Rees Jones was born into the game of golf. He learned to play as a youngster, competing as a junior golfer, in college and while in the army. He grew up traveling with his family to golf courses all over the world and worked in the summers for his father, renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones Sr.
After college at Yale and graduate studies at Harvard, Rees Jones went to work in 1965 as a principal in Robert Trent Jones, Inc. Ten years later in 1974, he founded his design firm, Rees Jones, Inc., headquartered in his hometown of Montclair, New Jersey.
He has designed or redesigned more than 225 golf courses in his career.
Rees Jones has earned the moniker “The Open Doctor” for his redesign of courses in preparation for major championships. His remodeling skills have been applied to seven U.S. Open venues, eight PGA Championship courses, five Ryder Cup and two Walker Cup sites as well as the President’s Cup at The Royal Montreal Golf Club. Several of his redesigned courses have been selected as FedEx Championship sites including East Lake Golf Club, the permanent site of the PGA TOUR’s Tour Championship.
One of his most recent projects was the updating of his father’s original design at Coral Ridge Country Club in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Among his notable original designs are Nantucket Golf Club, Atlantic Golf Club, The Golf Club at Briar’s Creek, RedStick Golf Club, Ocean Forest Golf Club, Haig Point Club, Waldorf Astoria Golf Club , The Bridge and Cascata Golf Course.
Rees Jones has been recognized many times for his contributions to the game.
- 2013 Donald Ross Award from the American Society of Golf Course Architects
- 2012 New Jersey Sports Writers Association Hall of Fame
- 2015 Northern California Golf Association Hall of Fame
- 2012 Robert Moses Master Builder Award
- 2002 Metropolitan Golf Writers Distinguished Service Award
- 1995 Golf World Magazine’s Golf Architect of the Year
- 2004 Golf Course Superintendents Association of America’s Old Tom Morris Award